Sunday, September 25, 2016

Bell Peppers and Mushroom flavored Schezwan Fried Rice


The Schezwan fried rice has always been my curious food right from the time I came to see them on some other person's platter in a restaurant,,, this was so many years before.. Yet that first curiosity is a reminder I always feel whenever I see them or read on a menu card or if I make my own version....





 




This time i decided my Schezwan rice to contain only Bell Peppers of varied colors, some Spring Onions, few Garlic, and I decided to add some Mushrooms and a less than a quarter portion of Cabbage as well.


 As the regular carrots and french beans give a montonous fried rice feel, I avoided them.


Prep Time       : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves            : 2
Cuisine            : Chinese
Recipe Type   : Egg-free
Techniques     : Pressure Cook & Pan fry
 
Steps              :
Take 1 cup of Basmati Rice, wash thoroughly and soak them in 1 cup of drinking water for 20 minutes.
Take a pressure pan, add 2 tbsp oil of your choice. When the oil gets mild heat, add in the rice along with its soaked water. I poured in 1 cup of Vegetable stock as well ( if you do not have vegetable stock, add in 1 more cup of water)
Allow to cook for exactly 10 minutes in slow mode.
Allow the rice to cool off completely.
Take a wide pan, add in 3 tbsp of refined oil, add in finely chopped ( or slit lengthwise ) bell peppers of green, yellow and red varieties. Add in sliced mushrooms, cabbage and finely chopped spring onions.
Season them by adding a tsp of salt for not more than 3 sec. 
Add in a tbsp of Soya Sauce and 2 tbsp of Vinegar.
Season again for 3 more minutes and switch off the heat.
  
Take a paste of 3 de-seeded red chillies.
Add them along with the seasoned veggies and toss again for another 5 more minutes, until the rawness of the red chillies evades off.
  
Now, this is the appropriate time to add in the cooked rice and generously mix everything together.
The beautiful red colored angel, I mean the Schezwan fried rice is now ready. 

My Tip: 
  1. The vegetable stock gives a rich taste to the rice than by cooking the rice using ordinary water.
  2. I prefer to long slit the cabbage and Red Bell Pepper, and finely chop down the green and yellow Bell Pepper varieties.
  3. I keep mushrooms as finely sliced thin portion.,

I believe even the manner in which the veggies are chopped also adds to a greater presentation of the food once they are cooked.



No comments:

Post a Comment